Get Ready and CERT Students:
As always, Deputy Fire Marshal Bill Euchner and I would like to thank all of the people who have taken the Get Ready and CERT Classes. You play a critical role in our Emergency Response following a major disaster here in San Mateo.
I’d like to update some of the accomplishments that we have achieved together to date:
- Changed "RU Ready" Program name to conform to County "Get Ready" Program
- 500 CERT Students with 397 of them “Graduated” over the course of 13 sessions.
- Approximately 500+ Get Ready Students with 33 sessions completed.
- CERT and Get Ready classes can now be registered on our www.sanmateocert.org website
- Get Ready classes being presented for community groups of 20 or more people
- 11 HOA’s presented SMFFA Video and CERT/Get Ready schedules, including SMUHA.
- Working with other cities- (Woodside, Foster City, San Carlos-Belmont, Central County) Other cities are now hosting continuing education classes for our students and vice-versa. In addition, we are also working to achieve curriculum standardization across San Mateo County with all cities.
- Working with local schools to teach disaster preparedness, including a special 2 day CERT series for the San Mateo High School District.
- Training committee working on Level II / III classes (Priority: 1- ICS, 2- Communications, 3- Trailers)
- CERTs activated during Countywide Disaster Drill in March '08 highlighted success of CERT Program.
I’d like to remind everyone about the importance of remaining involved in San Mateo’s disaster program. Remember: The success of the program depends on the response of the CERT members. Since the Fire and Police Department’s will be overwhelmed following a major disaster, it is important that team members feel comfortable setting up their Disaster Operations without outside assistance. Thanks to each of you for your contribution to the success of the CERT program!