CERT Core Training
Cert Core Training
is your opportunity to become a trained member of “CERT”, the City of San Mateo’s Community Preparedness Program. Participants in this 18-hour series of classes will learn how to develop neighborhood teams, cross-trained in basic emergency skills. Each class emphasizes a set of skills that will be practiced during a hands-on drill at the last class. Sign Up Now
Earthquake Awareness and Preparedness
Basic Disaster Skills
- Earthquake type, magnitude, history and probability.
- How to prepare before it happens.
- What to do when the earth starts to shake
- Natural gas, water and electrical controls: why when and how to shut them off.
- Types of fire and use of extinguishers to put the fire out.
- Hazardous materials in the home, on the road, and in the workplace.
Light Search and Rescue
- Health considerations for the rescuer.
- Opening airways.
- Stopping bleeding and controlling shock.
- START triage.
- Minor burns.
Team Organization and Management
- Different types of construction and where to look for damage.
- How to classify damaged buildings.
- Building marking system.
- Interior search patterns.
- Lifting heavy objects and mechanical advantage.
- Victim carries.
Skills Development and Application
- Disaster plans and where CERT fits in.
- CERT Incident Command System; managing the disaster.
- Disaster psychology.
- Extinguishing fires.
- Triaging and treating victims.
- Extricating a victim trapped by heavy timbers.
- Interior search for reported missing persons.
- Review and final exam.
- Award of achievement and course evaluation.
Winter - Spring 2013
Classes 1-7, Tuesdays from March 5th to April 16th
San Mateo Police Department, EOC Classroom- map
6:30 PM to 9:00 PM
200 Franklin Parkway, San Mateo
Class 8, Saturday April 20th, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Location: Fire Station 23 - map
We also encourage you to begin your disaster preparedness by taking our Get Ready Disaster Preparedness Class. Click here for more information.